For the third consecutive year, Kaiser Permanente was named to the DiversityInc Top 50 Hall of Fame in recognition of our diversity and inclusion practices in hiring, retaining, and promoting women, minorities, veterans, people with disabilities, and people in the LGBTQ community.
“Kaiser Permanente, a DiversityInc Hall of Fame company, has repeatedly demonstrated its dedication to diversity and inclusion and the well-being of all people,” said DiversityInc CEO Carolynn Johnson at this year’s DiversityInc Top 50 Companies for Diversity conference.
Sharing best practices for equity, inclusion, and diversity
The annual DiversityInc event, held virtually for the first time due to the COVID-19 pandemic, began with a fireside chat with Johnson and Ronald L. Copeland, MD, FACS, senior vice president and chief equity, inclusion, and diversity officer at Kaiser Permanente.
Dr. Copeland championed “unapologetic leadership,” the theme of this year’s conference, and defined it as leading from a sense of principles and value of human life, and staying committed to those principles. Quoting former CEO Bernard J. Tyson, he said, “Don’t ask for permission to help improve the lives of the people and communities you’ve pledged to serve.”
Dr. Copeland also shared best practices for prioritizing equity and inclusion during times of crisis and uncertainty, like the COVID-19 pandemic, including:
- Leaders modeling inclusive behavior to show employees they are valued, and their voices are critical to finding creative solutions to problems
- Demonstrating an ongoing commitment to creating an inclusive workplace that reflects belonging, psychological safety, and a speak-up culture
- Everyone leading from where they stand, regardless of position, to promote a workplace environment of mutual respect, dignity, and cultural understanding
A growing list of accolades
Kaiser Permanente’s recognition from DiversityInc’s 2020 Top 50 Companies for Diversity is the latest of many accolades recognizing the organization’s ongoing commitment to and leadership in workforce equity, inclusion, and diversity, including:
- Fortune 100 Best Workplaces for Diversity
- Corporate Equality Index’s Best Place to Work for LGBTQ Equality
- Latina Style’s 50 best U.S. companies for Latinas
- Military Friendly’s Top 10 Employers
- National Organization on Disability’s Leading Disability Employer
- Disability Equality Index’s Best Place to Work for Disability Inclusion
See the full list of Kaiser Permanente’s workforce and care delivery accolades.